Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Harrison Senior Living seeks an experienced and ambitious candidate for our Chief Financial Officer
position. We are a mid-sized company with revenues recently grown to $40M seeking a
professional who will be able to assist us with further growth efforts. A chief challenge we currently
face is maximization of profit margins while maintaining the commitment to quality of a family owned
organization. Harrison Senior Living is currently managed by a third generation operations team.
This fact presents opportunities for marketing and benefits our culture while also presenting
challenges in the modern healthcare industry. HSL owns and operates five communities in PA, DE
and MD. Combined, the portfolio consists of over 500 beds in Independent Living, Assisted Living,
Skilled Nursing and Memory Care industry segments.
The CFO is responsible for a small, five person financial management team at the Home Office in
Chester County, PA. The CFO is indirectly responsible for the Business Office Managers at each of
the five communities. The five Executive Directors currently report to the CEO but regular
interaction with these individuals is essential. Visibility among mid-level and front-line staff is
important to HSL’s culture. Occasional interaction with the board may be required.
As a smaller organization, hands-on working style is necessary, as is the high-level strategic thought
required of CFO’s at larger organizations. A results driven management style with modern degrees
of patience and sensitivity will fit the current team’s disposition. While experience with long-term
care regulations and payment models is critical, creative consideration for new methodologies within
the business model and new ideas for expansion of revenues and services is equally important.
- Establish fiscal objectives and policies; prepare related documentation
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization; i.e., evaluation of potential expansion, significant contract negotiations, etc.
- Oversee accounting to ensure compliance with accounting standards and regulations
- Plan, direct, and evaluate activities of the accounting, billing, and information technology staff
- Optimize handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism which includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs
- Oversee monthly and year-end tax reports
- Oversee facility budget and develop departmental budget and staffing plan.
- Educate department managers on financial issues impacting their budgets
- Provide timely and accurate analyses of budgets and financial reports to assist management and
meet Board and bank oversight requirements
- Advise on long range planning, introduction of new programs, cost and reimbursement strategies, and regulatory interaction
- Manage billing department and assist in collections as required
- Engage facility business offices to review and encourage performance
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with senior executives to identify their needs and seek a full range of business solutions
- Make reports and recommendations to the Chief Executive Officer as necessary concerning the
operation of the department
- Develop, maintain, and periodically update written departmental policies and procedures and job descriptions, train on policies and procedures
- Attend in-service classes and staff meetings. Orient and train new employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications to Apply:
- 4 year accounting degree (BA)
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible work experience in accounting and finance
- At least 5 years in the long-term care industry
- CPA is preferred
- Strong computer skills – Office suite with expertise in MS Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Enjoys teamwork and working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Able to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization
- High level of integrity and dependability
- Strong analytical, problem solving and creative skills
- Strong sense of urgency with the drive to achieve determined goals
Harrison Senior Living offers a flexible, laid back but driven working environment where teamwork is
highly valued. We also offer competitive salaries and benefits including Health Insurance, Dental
Insurance, Life Insurance, 401k matching and other perks. Please inquire further if the ideals we’ve
mentioned suit your interests.
At Harrison Senior Living we take pride in rewarding our employees with thoughtful, valuable and
worthwhile benefits that positively impact their lives and the lives of their families. Most, if not all,
organizations claim to offer “competitive benefits”. We believe, however, that with the feedback we
have gotten from our employees we have been able to create an offering of benefits that is not only
competitive, but meaningful. We think you will agree.
Our health insurance plan through Independence Administrators is affordable and comprehensive. The network of medical providers is extensive. An excellent feature of our health insurance plan is the Health Reimbursement Account. Through this account Harrison Senior Living pays for the first 50% of a qualified employee’s deductible! After the deductible is met most medical services are covered at 100%!
Our Employee Wellness program was created as a vehicle to assist employees in implementing healthy
habits into their lives while earning discounts on their health insurance premiums. We recognize that healthy minds and healthy bodies are the catalyst to a successful working environment. Your health
information is 100% confidential!
This valuable medical coverage allows our employees to “bridge” the gap in
their deductible with a benefit of up to $1,500.00 for qualifying procedures in patient and out.
Through Lincoln Financial Group we offer very affordable dental coverage that our employees
have enjoyed for a long time.
Employees enjoy the benefit of a 401k plan at Harrison Senior Living which is automatically contributed from their bi-weekly paycheck into their retirement account, this includes a Roth option and a discretionary match by the company. We encourage participation with Automatic Enrollment for all qualifying employees. With this push in the right direction many of our employees are saving for their future retirement!
All qualifying employees receive a free $25K life insurance policy. Those who qualify are
automatically enrolled into this benefit. Of course, there is also the option to purchase Voluntary Life
Insurance as well. Again, affordable coverage for employees at Harrison Senior Living.
Our disability programs are very popular with our team at Harrison Senior Living due to their affordability and flexibility. Our plan allows our employees to purchase these disability programs at
different levels and cost increments to suit their needs and needs of their families.
Our employees can earn a bonus up to $500.00 when we hire a candidate that they have referred to Harrison Senior Living when that employee remains with the company for at least six months.
Harrison Senior Living offers a generous time off program for those who qualify and pass the introductory period. Time is available as it is accrued and unused vacation time can be carried over to subsequent years up to a certain maximum.
Employee Assistance Program – Our EAP provides unlimited phone access to legal, financial and work-life services. It also includes up to four sessions with a counselor per person, per issue, per year.